Why Parkinson's UK
As a Trustee or a Committee Member, you will have the opportunity to shape the work of Parkinson’s UK at the highest level - developing its work to provide the best possible services and support. This includes the opportunity for personal development to build on your existing skills and experience.
We need to reach out to all people affected by Parkinson’s in the UK, and one of our key challenges is that we find it difficult to reach diverse communities so that they are aware of us and what we do. We will never make progress if our staff and volunteer workforce doesn’t adequately represent a diverse range of cultures. We are therefore particularly keen to hear from people who are representative of different communities and cultures, and who feel that they can help inform and lead us in our work with people from diverse communities, so that from the leadership and throughout the charity we can make real steps in delivering the transformation we need to see.
All of our current Trustees and Committee Members say they get enormous job satisfaction from using their skills and experience to support the work of the charity - knowing that they are making a real difference for people affected by Parkinson’s. Some of the benefits of working with us include:
- During recruitment/interview – opportunity to come into the organisation and meet key people, understand our priorities, culture and strategy and get a real sense of what being a Trustee would feel like.
- Clear description of the role and responsibilities.
- A dedicated governance team to support Trustees and the Board as a whole.
- An effective welcome/induction programme which has been highly rated by previous incoming Trustees.
- Meetings designed in ways to assist people in attending (location/time/structure of agenda etc.) – including Skype options in some instances – particularly relevant for people with Parkinson’s or a disability where adjustments need to be made.
- Social opportunities timetabled around board/committee meetings.
- Ongoing trustee update training/learning opportunities once in post.